Thursday, February 4, 2010

Much better....


Kate had her second Music Together class today, and I'm pleased to say that it went MUCH better than the first. Last week, she threw an epic tantrum when she had to give back the egg shakers she was using, and she never recovered after that (too bad egg shakers came at the beginning of class....) There were about 15 other kids in the class, seemingly enjoying themselves or, at least, not crying, and then there was Kate who was giving them all a great lesson in lung-power usage. Despite many of the other parents telling me their kids did just the same thing the first time, I still felt mighty embarrassed!! There's no way not to feel that way because you just know you'd be thinking "I'm glad that's not my child" if it were someone else's kid stomping and screaming! Anyway, Kate seemed fairly indifferent to the whole class today, but at least she didn't have a fit. She's already done two rounds of Kindermusic, so this is the third music class she's attended. If she never gets into this one, I may just wait before doing it again. She LOVES any class that's physical, and actually likes the parts of music class where she gets to jump around, so I think she's just more into the gross motor skills right now. She's already trying to hit stuff with rackets, so I'm counting the days (months, years?) until she can start tennis. I hope she'll at least tolerate this class because it's 8 more weeks and the gymnastics room is not open anymore. You may have heard my screams of horror when I heard this news. My go-to activity is gone. Oh, I moaned about it quite a bit (ask Ryan) but easy come, easy go and don't cry over spilled milk and all those other cliches....we'll search out other activities. This afternoon we're taking some balls and trucks to the high school track. I don't know if Kate will like it, but at least she'll run off some energy! Wish us luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read in the Agassi book that his dad hung tennis balls in the crib so he could practice hitting them...I like your approach MUCH better!
Ga-Ga