Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Being a parent....


...teaches you many profound lessons about unconditional love and all such great things, but it also teaches you many smaller lessons. Like not judging people who feed their toddlers in grocery stores. Before having Kate, I admit that I'd see kids munching away on something that had been opened for them and I'd think, "Seriously? Your kid can't wait until you've left the store?" Now, I sing a completely different tune. When you've got a squirming toddler, singing an incessant chorus of "Cracker please! Cracker stuck!" you learn to choose your battles. I won't buy her everything she points at, but I certainly will let her have a cracker if it buys me five more minutes!! What else? Well, last night in the bath Kate said something I found humorous, but it may be too much information for some. So if you shy away from talk of "private parts" stop reading here. Otherwise.....Kate was sitting the bath, examining herself very quizzically. Obviously, she's taken notice before but not in an actual information-seeking sort of way. She kept looking down and then looking at me, then she looked at me with a confused expression and said, "Tush? Butt?" as if she was trying to figure this strange thing out. Then, she pointed to her actual tush and then looked back at me in wonderment and said "TWO butts?" as if this was about the most amazing discovery ever. I told her, no, and told her what she was really looking at. Then I told her that's just what girls have. She said, "man?" and I again told her, "just ladies." Well, after all that explaining, she just looked at me as if she got it and said, "lady two butt." Hmmm....maybe I need to work on my explaining skills before she gets any older......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! That is hilarious! It sounds like she has learned sorts of things since Christmas. xoxo Auntie Courtney