Sunday, May 9, 2010

A kid's rite of passage




Ryan, Kate and I had a really lovely Mother's Day today, just hanging out with our little family. It's hard to believe that, first, I am a mom at all and, second, that I'm nearly a mom of two!! Unbelievable. It's also my grandma's birthday today, so my went to Salem to spend it with her. We all know that these are grandma Helen's final days, but I thought of her a lot today, knowing that she has had quite a life. She is one of the people I admire most in this world, and truly one of the most caring, hard-working moms and grandmas there could have been. My mom, Kate and I weeded some in the yard yesterday and decided that we were weeding in grandma's honor since she loved being out in the garden more than anything. It is a sad time, but I cherish all the memories I have of her. She was one of a kind, I know that for sure. On a much lighter note, Kate a had a kid's rite of passage this weekend: her first ice-cream (or "ice-ceam" as she called it). Her verdict was that it was "yummy." My sentiment's exactly! We made a great discovery because we ordered a cone from McDonald's to let her have licks of, only to be offered a baby-sized cone for free. We don't frequent McDonald's, but that was quite a deal!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you, Kate, Connie, and Helen. Four generations of strong, beautiful women! Love to you all on Mother's Day! xoxo Auntie Courtney

Anonymous said...

Happy mother's day, Bryn. Glad you had a good one. Give Connie my best thoughts. I know this is a tough time for her. Gumpa Mac

Anonymous said...

Bryn,I am so pleased that we were able to spend some time with your Grandma Helen. What an amazing woman she is..we loved her sense of humor! We are thinking of you all. Love, Bob & Star