Monday, May 10, 2010

It's in the genes

To me, my grandma Helen in one of the most tenacious, determined woman ever. I'm happy to say that I think these qualities have been passed on to Kate; everyday, I see shades of my grandma in this pint-sized package. This morning I had to chuckle at the very evident expression of her great-grandma's genes. We went out to take a walk to the mailbox to pick up the newspaper. Kate wanted to carry to watering cans with her. When I suggested she might want to leave them, as the walk in over a half mile round-trip, she said, "I do it myself." I already know that I will not win any battles that include her saying "I do it myself," so I didn't fight it. Lo and behold, she hauled those cans in her tiny hands. We must have been quite a sight: a toddler with two watering cans, a pregnant mommy, five dogs and Frank the cat. How nice to think that I'll see my grandma every day just by looking at my little girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grandma was your biggest fan, Brynny. She especially admired your strong sense of independence and adventure, and you always could make her laugh. She was smart and funny and strong, just like you and now like her great grandaughter. Little Miss Kate would have enchanted her. I'm so glad she got to see and hold Kate, even for a little while. I think the 2 of them would have been great pals.When she's older, we'll have to tell Kate all the Grandma stories.
Mom