Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Play date & too much information


Kate had a play date with her buddy, Kevin, today at the Olympic National Park visitors' center. It's a fun place to take them when the weather isn't cooperating because there are lots of activities and--best of all--lots of large, stuffed (real) animals. Kate loves the elk, but staunchly refuses to call it anything but a goat. There's also an enormous lawn in front where we let Kate and Kevin loose once the sun peeked out. They love running and spinning, and Katrin and I love it because it wears them out. While we were out there, Kate proved to me that toddlers will repeat anything and everything they see and hear you do. She kept running up to the edge of the grass, where it turned into weeds and bushes, and squatting down. After a few seconds, she'd pop back up, move a few feet and do it again. When I went to see what she was doing, I could hear her saying, in a very sing-songy voice, "mommy pees in bushes." Hmmm...yes. As anyone who has been pregnant knows, you're bladder becomes measurably smaller, so when I'm out running with Kate I sometimes have to stop at "unofficial" stops. I've told her what I'm doing because she asks and because, well, it's obvious anyway. But now I know that soon most everyone she sees in any proximity to a bush will know too! Ah, the joys of having a verbal child are just beginning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember when your preschool teacher warned us that "there are NO secrets" ? Looks like begins now! Ga-Ga