Friday, July 2, 2010

Baby factory?


Or, at least, that's sort of how it feels at my new doctor's office. Don't get me wrong, he is a very nice guy and, as I'm finding out, one of the most well-respected OBGYNs in Bend. So I know he's good at what he does. However, that doesn't really change the fact that I had my 28-29 week check-up yesterday and was in and out in 10 minutes flat. And we're not talking doctor face-time here, we're talking 10 minutes from the time the nurse called me back, weighed me, took my blood pressure, told me the doctor would be right in, waited a few minutes, doctor comes in, measues my belly, listens to the heartbeat, asks how I'm feeling, says I look good and sends me on my way. In 10 FREAKING MINUTES. And since they put you on a payment plan to avoid sending a large bill at the end, I paid $100 for the pleasure. Jeez. I suppose I shouldn't compare to last time around since I had midwives and, well, their role is to guide you through. They're people-oriented and I guess traditional OBGYNS are just more business-oriented. Fine, but I'm really glad this isn't my first pregnancy. I was often in the midwives' office for 45+ minutes, with them explaining all that I should expect. I even still keep in contact with the nurse who taught our birthing class and the nurse who came to our house after Kate was born. Somehow, I doubt that's happening this go around. It's not a bad experience, it's just different. I think one big advantage to going with a midwife is that they make it feel like a really special thing to have a baby. A regular doctor seems to see it at more of a normal routine. Again, not bad, just different. Oh well. No real moral to this story. Just me venting. But, my word of advice to anyone who's not yet a mommy but wants to get a lot of help and information when they are pregnant is to go to midwives who work with a traditional OBGYN. If I were pregnant again (HIGHLY unlikely!!!!), I think I'd shop around here a bit more. But that's just me.

1 comment:

Cindy Anna said...

I can't believe just 10 minutes! I have a regular OBGYN and none of the docs I've seen have ever done that! I would be totally weirded out by that too.