Thursday, March 10, 2011

Things I've learned from Baby #1 to Baby #2...






I've come to think that being a parent for the first time is all about being idealistic and being a parent for the second time is all about being realistic. As such, here are some random things I've learned and learned to accept (mostly...) along the way. I suppose a disclaimer is also necessary: these things only apply to me. I fully realize that every parent, just like every baby, is different. So, here goes:

*"This too shall pass" applies to nearly everything.

*There are days that 90% of your function as a parent involves bodily emissions of some sort. It's a (sometimes very) dirty job and YOU have to do it. I keep waiting for the diaper/mucous/vomit fairy to show up but I'm seriously beginning to doubt her existence.

*Your child will survive if non-organic food passes his/her lips.

*Making your own baby food is great and something I really do enjoy. HOWEVER, when it comes to some things (ie spinach) the time saved by buying is totally worth it. I mean, have you seen the paltry ratio of spinach output versus input??

*Try as you might there is no way your child will avoid: refined sugar, TV and really annoying, loud plastic toys (which they'll probably love way more than the "good" wooden ones you've been buying).

*Disposable vs. cloth? I don't have the answer. I use a combo and that works for me. But I'm not sure the environmental high ground is found by using cloth; the amount of laundry (and, thus, water used) is O.U.T.R.A.G.E.O.U.S.

*There are mostly great days, there are a fair number of tough days and there are a few days that make you understand alcoholism.

*You will love the second every bit as much as the first, even if you can't imagine there being space enough in your heart. Somehow the heart expands and expands, which is an amazing and wonderful thing.
*Being a parent is often not a pretty job but, to me, it is truly the best, most amazing job there is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is also the most important job you can have. It is also the hardest job you can have. Can you even imagine a 40-hour work week? Your reward is watching the 2 most important people in the world grow and learn and change. It is quite a wonderful journey!
With love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Bryn, I'm really proud of you.
Bill

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully said. You and Ryan are doing an amazing job. Life doesn't get that much easier as you go along but the fluid duties get better!
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi - It's so nice to be able to come here and check in on these little sweetie pies! I can't believe Will is 6m already, and it seems as if Kate's vocabulary has exploded!

There is a little baby in baby group these days whose personality reminds Steph and I of Baby Kate. This little girl has a watchful eye and just rolls her eyes at our silliness! All this despite her sweet, smiling mama!

Life looks awfully cute at your house! Miss you, Kelly Watkins

Jenny said...

I agree with you 100%!
Although the second one isn't easier, it is easier to just let some things go.

Your kids are adorable and awesome! So are you :)