Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Outwitted by a not-quite-two-year-old....


I've been wondering when some sort of organized discipline would begin in our household, and the answer became abundantly clear: YESTERDAY. Kate was at her absolute feistiest and was testing every boundary she could. I drew the line when she began throwing her number magnets around the kitchen. I asked her not to do it, and we discussed (as we've had to do a lot lately) that the only thing she may throw is a ball. She didn't stop. The act that brought about our first use of the "naughty step" time-out technique was when she threw a magnet and then looked at me and said, "I did it on purpose." Clear as a bell! I was thrown for a moment by this blatant call for discipline, so I carried her over to a stair and said that it was her "naughty step." She knows about this since one of her Olivia books involves a time out. I knew she wouldn't stay there, but I explained why she was there and when she could get up anyway. She got up, went right to the fridge and threw another one. Back to the step. Again, up she got, right to throwing another magnet. But this time, she quickly said, "I did it on purpose" and then proceeded to go to her favorite little red chair. She sat down, looked at me (almost sarcastically, I think) and said, "THIS can be my naughty chair instead." Seriously?! I've been outsmarted after just two tries at time out?? I guess I may have to figure out another system......Happily, though, today was MUCH, much better in the behavior department. The weather was horrible so Kate and I tested out an indoor play park called Kiddoz. It was just perfect: a large room filled with all the stuff you basically could have at home, but then your kid probably wouldn't be nearly as excited about it. There was also a big structure with slides and such, but mostly it was just little nooks with dollhouses, blocks, etc., etc. PLUS lots of couches for parents and a coffee bar! Can't beat that. Kate was happy playing by herself and with the other kids, mostly, so I took advantage of those couches! This might be a good outing for us as I get bigger and bigger and bigger, and tired-er and tired-er..... We stayed a good 2.5 hours and Kate was nowhere near over the novelty of the room. And, Starla, you'll chuckle to know that she spent a good deal of time in the kitchen area, where there was a little table with four different colored chairs. True to her daddy's genes, she dutifully matched all the plastic vegetables and fruits with their corresponding colored chair. The other kids weren't sure why she was stacking carrots on the orange chair and green peppers on the green chairs, but I definitely knew why!! We'll see where this drive to organize takes her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Bryn...the terrible twos will pass. Not soon enough for parents! Genetics are interesting...who knew color & shape matching would be a trait that would be passed on! Gram S.