Thursday, June 3, 2010

I want 2, 3, 12, 37.....

Kate has discovered/learned three things that I have decided are not good in combination: tantrums, numbers and colors. Actually, I could do away with tantrums entirely, but I know this is just part of having a toddler, and an independent toddler at that. I'm happy she's confident in her numbers and colors, but this knowledge does not serve her (or me, really) well when she is in a tantrum-y mood. Most of her outbursts begin with her wanting 2 or more of something, sometimes in combination with a color (i.e. "I WANT 2 blue cups!!!" when I offer her a cup of milk). It gets way more complicated than this as she starts demanding 5 or more of things we don't even own, or demanding things that don't exist (i.e. the purple bagel she HAD TO HAVE at the store recently.) There's not much a mom can do to meet some demands, although we try compromise whenever possible. Hence, her hairdo today. She wanted 5 ponytails and she ended up with 3....strange to look at but MUCH easier on the ears than not meeting her part of the way there. I'm learning as I go......
Kate has little in the way of girly-girl tendencies (she does like heavy machinery, after all) but I think shoes may be her one girl-weakness so far. When she saw this pink pair of Keen sandals, she said, "I try them on RIGHT NOW!" At least they'll dry out faster than her rain boots!

No comments: