Friday, January 8, 2010

"Foke, pees!"

In the playgroup I go to with Kate, the topic that brings up the most confusion (aside from sleep, of course) is what and how to feed a growing toddler. I know that I'm constantly trying to figure out how to get nutrients into Kate. There are days she'll eat a lot of pretty much anything and days when all I hear is "no!" She is very reticent about putting things in her mouth, which is good when it comes to small objects and things she finds on the floor but is less handy when it comes to trying new foods. She is especially wary of foods that are not in a neutral color, like blueberries. She'll eat and like blueberries if I smoosh them up and feed them to her, but there's no a way she'll put a whole blueberry in her mouth. But, the other day, she ate roasted broccoli like it was going out of style. Go figure. I've stopped making big batches of anything because one day she loves something and the next she acts like I'm trying to kill her by making her eat it. For now, the trick seems to be giving her a "foke" (fork). She likes to poke at things, unfortunately she only has success about once every thousand tries. Oh well, at least it keeps her busy while surreptitiously shove green beans in her mouth!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like me when I try to use chopsticks. She'll soon master fork, and I may never get the hang of those 2 little sticks. Ga-Ga

Anonymous said...

Bryn, have you checked her pockets lately? We used to find every variety of veggie in Ryan's pockets along with treasures little ones like to collect! Gram S.