Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Best question of the day

We are deep into the "why?" stage around here. A typical conversation goes something like this:
Kate (pointing at blinds): Mommy, what are these?
Me: Blinds
Kate: What are they for?
Me: To make the room darker when it's too light.
Kate: Why do they make them?
Me: So people can choose how light the room is.
Kate: But why do they make them look like this?
Me: Maybe because they look the nicest in this house.
Kate: But why do they have all these parts?
Me: To make them work right.
Kate: But why do the parts look like this?
At this point, because this is an actual conversation we had today, I basically gave up and gave the "just because" answer you try so hard not to give but eventually give because you've reached your limit of whys. And by "you" I mean "me." While the "why" syndrome is fatguing, I do have to admit kids come up with some great questions. Kate's best of the day was "what is a gesund?" I kept saying "huh?" because I had no idea what she meant. To clarify, she said, "you know, like in gesundheit. What's the gesund part?" As much as you try, there's no way to answer all their questions--at least not Kate's! Two other things she's very fond of saying that always make me chuckle are "in the meantime" and "this is a great opportunity for you." She inserts "in the meantime" into everything and she tells me "this is a great opportunity for you" when she wants to convince me to say "yes" to something I'd usually tell her "no" about. Quite a little saleslady!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hysterical, and it's just beginning!
Grandma Connie

Anonymous said...

Me thinks she is seeing too many infomercials! Jennifer and I both agree this kid is "a hoot!"
Maryl