Monday, September 6, 2010

Love. This. Town.

Period. I really do. I am 100% happy that we chose Sisters. I love its cozy, alpine feel. I love that it has everything we need without having "big box" anything. I love that we can walk downtown. I love that there's a different festival or event every weekend. I love that there are fundraisers for the schools nearly every week and people from the community ACTUALLY GIVE MONEY TO THE SCHOOLS. I love that people are genuinely friendly. And we're talking everybody--even the people at the post office; if this isn't a rarity today, I don't know what is. Yesterday, I took the car in to have the oil changed and the "check engine" light checked. He wasn't sure how long it was going to take, so he offered to give us a ride home before he got started! You don't get that at Jiffy Lube, I'm quite sure. Anyway, I truly feel at home here. On top of all the things I've come to like about living here, tops on the list has to be "The Nugget" which is the town's weekly newspaper. It is an informative, useful paper, but that's not why I really like it. No, that would be because it has the most covertly sarcastic writing I've ever seen. It's not in-your-face, rather it's just subtle enough to be really, really funny. It's not every article or every writer, but it's definitely there. The absolute BEST part of the paper is the "Sheriff's Calls" section. I'm not kidding when I say that I want to this to be my job one day. Here, they let the sarcasm fly, apparently at a nod to the stupidity of some of the calls and probably also because the section's very presence shows how little crime is present. So the writer has to doctor them up a bit. Here's a selection from this week: * A 49-year-old man was arrested for DUI even though "he only had two beers." * A man reported another man following him around town. Apparently he thinks the guy wants to start a fight. * In a couple of instances deputies were forced to dispatch road-injured deeer. *Balloons used in a demonstration of the visual impact of a cell phone tower were cut from their string. The reporting party suspects sabotage... Oh, how I long to doctor these up some day. In the meantime, I'll be content knowing that our kids will grow up in a safe, beautiful community that values its schools, neighbors and natural surroundings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all that, but most of all I love that you, Ryan, Kate, and ?, are 14
miles down the road. Life is good.
Grandma Connie

Anonymous said...

We love all that, too. That's why we're going to be fulltime there in retirement and often enough in residence between now and then for everyone to get sick of us! We're substitute grandparents when Connie and Bill are away!

Pam and Kip