Thursday, August 5, 2010

Horses, Donkeys & Doctors--OH MY!

Kate had quite a big day yesterday (of course, I forgot my camera), but it was eventful nonetheless. It started out by a visit to the farm of a family friend of Kate's new friend Addi's grandparents. This has got to be one of the bonuses of living in a small town: you inevitably know someone who knows someone who owns livestock and is willing to share them with toddlers! She had two miniature donkeys who were as friendly as dogs. I can't say I've ever really been a donkey person, per say, but these two pot-bellied beings were fantastic. They let Kate and Addi pet them, brush them, walk them on a leash and ride them. After lots of donkey riding, we got to go see the horse and--for the very first time--Kate rode a full-size horse! She seemed to take it all in stride, like she did it every day, but I was quite impressed that she got up so high! We called Grandpa Bill when we got home because she couldn't wait to pass on the news. So, we had a fun morning, which was my plan because Kate had to go to the doctor in the afternoon for her two-year-old check-up. We lucked out completely, though, because she didn't need shots!! She still doesn't like the poking and prodding too much, but she tolerated it all pretty well, especially as the doctor let her look at all his fancy equipment. I'm happy to report she is healthy as can be, about 29 pounds and 33 inches tall. Best of all, I really liked the doctor and he can see our whole family, even the new baby! It will be fantastic not to have to drive to Bend for all those newborn visits. He even used to practice in OB so he likes seeing little ones. What a load off of my mind! After the visit, we walked around downtown a bit and I asked Kate if she wanted some ice cream. I mean, isn't this what parents bribe kids with for being good? Well, she shot down that idea by proclaiming, "I don't like cold food." Instead (and Uncle Jay and Aunt Cyndi, you should be proud), she wanted to "go look at bikes." So, we went to the bike shop, where she picked out the same bike she has before: a full-size, bright yellow Specialized mountain bike. I tried to show her the bikes that were more her size, but she would have none of it. She only had eyes for the yellow one, stroking its tires and saying, "this one comes to my house." Ha! One day, my dear, one day.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday, Kate!!
I miss you.
Kelly