Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Is Kate the only kid...


who simply cannot (will not) sit still in a shopping cart?? I don't want to be the crazy woman, apparently so obsessed with her child that she takes a camera to the grocery store, so I have no photographic evidence, but it does approximate her position in the wheelbarrow. Shopping has become a feat of epic proportion of late because I spend most of the time trying to corral this wiggle worm. I've heard the expression that some things are as difficult as "herding cats," which is a pretty apt description of how I feel. Many months ago (before Kate was mobile), I was the mom who was NEVER going to let her child touch a dirty shopping cart. I planned to neatly use a shopping cart cover and had visions of us rolling easily along. Like so many other parenting visions, this one was not realized. In reality, I have bought two different shopping cart covers and Kate has figured out how to take both of them off the cart. It became a tangled mess of limbs and fabric, so I gave up on that idea. Fine, I'll just use disinfecting wipes, I'll strap her in and we'll be good. Not so much. No matter how tight I strap her in, Kate can wriggle her way into a multitude of contortions. She first enjoyed putting her legs up over the bar so she could hold her feet--a wonder of flexibility only achievable by the very young. She's moved on now, though, preferring to turn around and stand up in the cart so she can pretend that she's piloting her own chariot. Other shoppers find this extremely humorous and I can't say I blame them. Seeing a little girl "driving" her own cart while babbling LOUDLY must be funny. I, too, find it entertaining, but not easy....I'm wondering what contortion she'll discover next. I find myself wondering that a lot, actually!

1 comment:

Cindy Anna said...

Caitlin is totally with Kate on this!