Friday, May 4, 2012

Kate's kindred spirits: FOUND!

The race is over!  I no longer have a full-time, unpaid job (aside from Kate & Will, that is...)!  It went SO well, actually pretty much just how we'd envisioned it.  The weather was perfect; we got completely lucky as the days before and after have been very, very sub-par.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it and I've gotten TONS of emails from people saying that they've already put it on their calendar for next year!  And, as the reason for the whole race was to make money, we did--just over $2700 when all was said in done.  Pretty darn good for a first-year effort, especially in an area where there are so many events every weekend.  We're pretty lucky to live in a community where people do like to come out support causes like ours!  So....back to my real "job."  The kids are doing great and becoming better friends (and, on the flip side, rivals) everyday.  Kate loves that Will can talk, except that he has learned to yell "no share!" when she takes something from him.  Gone are the days when he gave in easily to her every demand!  Will is adding so many words each day.  This is my absolute favorite part of having a toddler--it is mind-boggling how they acquire language SO quickly.  Today his favorite word is awesome which is, well, pretty awesome.  He has another favorite word that is not quite as awesome and that is: vagina.  Yes, having a sister to teach you things does have its drawbacks.  I can already see that I'll have to warn his pre-school teacher someday, just as I have to warn Kate's teacher-on a fairly daily basis--about the things she might say.  What else?  Well, Kate and I played our first board games together yesterday and this is what I learned: (1) Kate has not quite acquired the gracious-winner concept (as in she repeatedly yelled, "I win and that means YOU LOSE" every time she won) (2) Kate knows and will use the phrase "that sucks" (great) and (3) Kate knows how and will willingly cheat.  So, she's got all the game bases covered, I guess?  And, on a final note, we have discovered Kate's true kindred spirits......
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Give yourself and Ryan a huge pat on the back for the great job you did putting the half-marathon together. With sponsor signs, mileage markers and computer scoring, it felt like an established event. Of course, success means everyone will expect you to do it again next year, bigger and better. Love, Grandpa Mac (I think I've graduated from Gumpa.)