Friday, December 9, 2011

Beauty shop--wish I had a picture!

Kate had her first experience playing "beauty shop" today. Now, those of us who know and love Kate, know that "beauty shop" is not something she'd be into playing. She will literally run, screaming, "DO NOT touch me with that" if I try to offer her chapstick. She's seen me putting on makeup and has never once asked what it is or if she could try it. Show her a picture of a drill press and she'll identify it in no time, but she could not identify mascara if you paid her (in stickers, of course, because that's the currency she's currently operating in...) Anyway, most little girls her age seem to be showing some interest in girly pursuits like "beauty shop" and this is definitely the case with her beloved friend, Addie. We went to Addie's house yesterday and she suggested, first, that Kate paint her toenails. This, Kate understands, although she likes to have hers painted less for the beauty aspect than for the choosing of the pattern aspect (i.e. "mommy, I want it to go green, red, yellow, green, red, yellow.") So, off they went to paint nails. Heidi (my beloved friend and Addie's mom) and I gladly took the boys downstairs and enjoyed that our girls are now to the age that they happily play ON THEIR OWN!! After awhile, we went back up to see what they were doing and we heard Addie call, "oh, I made Kate REALLY pretty." She made her something, all right. Out walks Kate, clearly completely confused by what had just transpired. She had, probably, a bottle of hairspray in her hair which resembled something of a beehive/mohawk (impressive, I must say). She also had brown eyeshadow under her eyes and a good amount of blush on her cheeks. She looked exactly like she'd been in a huge brawl. Unfortunately, we had to go then because it was her turn to make Addie up next and I have no idea how that would have gone. When we left, Kate said, "that sure was fun when Addie decorated me!" I asked her if she had lots of blush and eyeshadow on and she said, "oh no, mommy, it's just some stuff Addie said goes on your face." I asked her if she wanted to play beauty shop at home and she said, "We could. With markers and crayons, maybe?" :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am envisioning Will "decorated" with poster paint and glitter...I'll have to be very vigilant this weekend!
Grandma Connie

Anonymous said...

pictures! This kid is a hoot!!! Maryl