Tuesday, February 7, 2012

First ski!!

And, of course, the batteries on our camera were dead when we got to the mountain (and, actually, it was so bright that it was hard to get photos anyway), BUT, despite these disclaimers, Kate did indeed go skiing at the mountain for the first time last weekend. What a big day, right? Even better that Grandpa Mac and "Aunt" Louise were there to witness it! The ski area near our house has a lift that's perfect for beginners (or skiiers like me....) because it is practically flat. Kate went up the lift with Ryan and he said she was a little nervous when it got up high, but he managed to distract her enough that she enjoyed it and wanted to do it again and again. It was completely awesome watching Ryan ski down with her; he's the perfect teacher because he's an expert skiier and he makes sure she's so safe. I'm so grateful he's teaching her this skill she'll have her whole life! After they'd done the lift a few times, Kate noticed that Grandpa Mac and Louise had started tubing down the hill next to the lift and, naturally, she couldn't be left out of that fun. I took Will to the car for a bit and when I returned, I saw Kate sailing down the hill all on her own!! I think watching Kate sled on steep inclines is an event best left to Grandpas and dads because it sure made me nervous! Kate loved it, of course, and insisted on doing much of it "by herself" (even head first--eeek!!) I'm just glad she was wearing a helmet (something I'll probably be saying about virtually everything Will does in a couple years). It was a great day in the sunshine at the mountain with family, couple it with a trip to the brewery afterward and days don't really get much better!! Thanks Grandpa Mac and "Aunt" Louise for entertaining the kids so well--Kate's still asking when "Donald Duck" is coming back!! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun family outing! I'm sure that there will be many, many more winter adventures to follow!
Love, Gram & Gumpa