Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First day of school!










Today was Kate's first day of preschool--WHEN did my baby girl become old enough to go to school?? Time does truly pass so quickly, which is why it's so important to celebrate the big milestones like today. I knew it would be harder for me to send my little companion off to school than it would be for her to leave Will and me; she was as ready as could be. She wore her favorite outfit of the moment (bright orange tutu and Cars t-shirt) and proudly donned her Spiderman backpack (nevermind that we didn't actually have anything to put in it!) When we got to school, she was off and never looked back. And I do mean that literally. I stayed for a few minutes, chatting with the other parents who all seemed reluctant to go, and when I went to say good-bye to her, she just said, "I thought you left already." Then she gave Will and I a kiss and as I was saying "I'll be back to pick you up," she ran off, so all I got out was "I'll be...." Guess I didn't have to worry about this day being hard on her. Will and I enjoyed the next three-and-a-half hours on our own and, when we went to pick her up, Kate informed us that she "wasn't quite done with school yet." I had to bribe her and distract her to get her to leave and she was still the last kid there! So, I think she likes it. A lot. She was so hyper afterwards that she was nearly breathless and I think excitement is a good sign that this will be a good first year of school for her. She, Will and I enjoyed the rest of the day, too, because we got to hang out with Aunt Courtney, Dan, Uncle John and Amanda. They were very great sports!! And the topper of the day is that Ryan is coming home tonight. He has to take one day off since he's worked 14 days on the fire, so we'll enjoy our one day with him before he heads back. Kate will be bouncing off the walls when she wakes up to find daddy home!









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Little Kate suddenly doesn't look so little anymore with her backpack on! I can't believe it!

I'll email soon, I promise! Sounds like you've had a tough couple of weeks with Ryan away.

Big Kate xx