Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Three months old already!

Wow, three months have flown by! It's still hard to believe we've got two kids, let alone a 2-year-old and a 3-month-old. Time seems to be going faster and faster, and I find myself trying hard to cherish each day. I also find myself thinking more and more about my own parents, and about how you never know how much they do for you until you have kids of your own. My parents definitely shaped the kind of parent I am or, at least, strive to be. I think they did an amazing job of teaching me the big lessons about love, compassion and respect but it's the little lessons (that maybe weren't even lessons) that keep popping into my mind now. Here are some of the things they've taught me...hopefully, I can pass these same ideas on to Kate and Will:

1. When in doubt, do the gracious thing.
2. Simplify, simplify, simplify
3. Use firm handshakes
4. Smile
5. Always write a thank you note
6. Get the meaning, not just the answer
7. When it comes to family, you defend and support. No exceptions.
8. Every once in awhile, take the time to dine, not just "eat." In life, take the time to enjoy, not just rush through.
9. Only drink good champagne. If an event is worth celebrating, it's worth celebrating right.
10. You can always come home.

Thanks to ALL my moms and dads. You make me a better parent every day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you learned the lessons better than I taught them. I'm very proud of you. Love,
Gumpa Mac

Anonymous said...

This teary-eyed Mom is ever grateful for you and has been from the happy day you entered our lives. You have given us love and joy and have been such a wonderful gift to all of your family. We are, indeed, proud of you.
Grandma Connie